Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Really?!?!?!

So I have officially started my 3rd year of teaching. I can't believe that it has gone so fast already! Thus far, the school year is off to a good start. However, there are some things that kind of amaze me...

1. Just how fast kids will show me their true colors! I have already had to call home on a young lady who chooses to be disrespectful and must not be able to hear me because I have to ask her to do something an average of 3-4 times before she actually does it. (I didn't realize the directions "get out your book" or "take out your notes from yesterday" were so difficult to follow.)

2. The things that parents will complain about. (I saw an obviously irate parent talking, or possibly yelling, at another teacher because she was following the rules and had to reprimand the student because he didn't cross the street at the right point. Really lady? Do you want your son to get hit by a car instead? We are just doing our job!)

3. The excuses that parents make for their children. There are so many parents out there who do not make the child take responsibility for something they have done. It also applies to those students who have ADD or ADHD. Some parents act like their child is not capable of functioning in an everyday world.

4. How many kids have a cell phone on them and it goes off in class. Last year I took a kids cell phone 7 times!! The first time, it was a really beat up phone so his mother went out and bought him a new one instead of coming to get it from the principal. I'm not quite sure what happened the other 6 times and why it was given back to him so many times.... I'm starting the year off quickly since I have already had one go off in class today.

For now, that is what I can't quite seem to comprehend. I'm sure as the year goes on, I will have many more stories.



On another note, we have decided to go to Myrtle Beach for this upcoming Labor Day Weekend and I couldn't be more excited! :) We are trying a hotel that neither of us have been to or seen in person, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that it is everything the website shows it is. ;)

No comments: